Identity Theft Occurs Every 2.7 Seconds(1)
A Message from Insurance Solutions
It is time to take precautionary steps to protect your good name and Insurance Solutions™
and South Carolina Federal Credit Union are here to help. Here are ten steps2
you can take to protect and minimize your risk of identity theft:
- Shred financial documents and paperwork with personal information before you discard them.
- Protect your Social Security number. Don’t carry your Social Security card in your wallet or write your Social Security number on a check. Give it out only if absolutely necessary or ask to use another identifier.
- Don’t give out your personal information on the phone, through the mail, or over the Internet unless you know who you are dealing with.
- Never click on links sent in unsolicited emails. Instead, type in a web address you know. Use firewalls, anti-spyware and anti-virus software to protect your home computer and keep them up-to-date.
- Don’t use an obvious password like your birth date, your mother’s maiden name, or the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Keep your personal information in a secure place at home, especially if you have roommates, employ outside help, or are having work done in your house.
- Review financial accounts and billing statements regularly, looking for charges you did not make.
- Be on alert for denials of credit for no apparent reason.
- Pay attention to billing cycles. Bills that do not arrive on time may have been misdirected by identity thieves.
- Carry only the credit cards and identification on you that you actually need.
IdentitySecure® is a comprehensive fraud protection program providing prevention, detection, and resolution services that allow you to:
- Review your credit report with credit score compiled by CreditXpert®3
- Get alerts when certain negative information has been added to your credit records4
- Protect all your payment cards from fraudulent use if they are lost or stolen5
- Receive fraud support if you should become a victim of fraud, helping you through the resolution process
Don’t wait to become the next fraud victim. Protect yourself today by enrolling in IdentitySecure for just $13.95 a month. Visit your local branch for more details.
IdentitySecure® is a service provided by Trilegiant Corporation and is not affiliated with Insurance Solutions™, and makes no representation or warranties regarding the services offered.1
Source: Javelin Strategy & Research, 2012 Identity Fraud Survey Report. 2
Source: ftc.gov. 3
Your CreditXpert® ScoresTM
are provided by CreditXpert Inc. Although these scores are not used by lenders to evaluate your credit, they are intended to reflect common credit scoring practices and are designed to help you understand your credit. Your scores are based on information from the files at the three major credit reporting agencies. Your scores may not be similar to scores you receive directly from those agencies or from other sources. 4
Daily monitoring will notify you of any new inquiries, certain derogatory information, accounts, public records, or change of address that have been added to your credit reports as reported by any of the three major credit reporting agencies. If no information has been added or changed, then you will receive a quarterly notification stating that no information has changed within your credit file. 5
IdentitySecure monitors up to ten registered credit/debit cards, up to ten registered bank accounts, and your Social Security number on the Internet, based on extensive research of Internet chat rooms; however, it is impossible to ensure that all Internet chat rooms have been searched for your personal information. Accordingly, your monitoring alert reports may not contain or apprise you of all your personal information that is publicly available or that may have been compromised.
© 2012, Trilegiant Corporation
Insurance products are offered through various insurance companies through Insurance SolutionsTM
, a division of South Carolina Financial SolutionsTM
, LLC, a licensed insurance agency and wholly-owned subsidiary of South Carolina Federal Credit Union. All insurance obligations are the sole obligations of the insurance company providing the insurance product. The insurance products are not federally insured and are not obligations of or guaranteed by the Credit Union or any affiliated entity. Insurance Solutions does not provide tax or legal advice.