Article: ATM Safety Tips
When using automated teller machines (ATMs), be sure to follow the tips below to help keep you and your money safe.
- Observe your surroundings before using an ATM. If the machine is obstructed from view or poorly lit, visit another ATM.
- Take a friend with you - especially at night.
- Have your card out and ready to use.
- Feel along the edge of the insertion slot to make sure it hasn't been tampered with before inserting your card.
- Shield the screen and keyboard so anyone waiting to use the ATM cannot see you enter your PIN or transaction amount.
- Put your cash, card and receipt away immediately. Count your money later, and always keep your receipt.
- If you see anyone or anything suspicious, cancel your transaction and leave immediately. If anyone follows you after making a transaction, go to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.
- When using an enclosed ATM that requires your card to open the door, avoid letting strangers follow you inside.
- When using a drive-up ATM, make sure all passenger car doors are locked and windows are up.
- Do not leave your car unlocked or engine running when you get out to use an ATM.
- While many ATMs are available 24 hours a day, some may be open only during local business hours. To be on the safe side, plan your withdrawals ahead of time.
- If you have questions about ATM safety or fraud prevention, ask the staff at South Carolina Federal Credit Union.